Tuesday, March 24, 2020

EASY AND DELICIOUS LENTIL SOUP

Wadap people!

So, as many, or probably all of you, are spending time at your houses right now, wondering what delicious, nutritious, healthy and cruelty-free budget meal to prepare next for your family or only for yourself, I have come to offer a great option: Lentil soup!



This recipe is my own version based on all the lentils recipes I have found and tried myself during these years. First of all, to me the lentils are best when they are still in their shape (and not smashed, for example). The tomato sauce adds nice flavor and color (you can also use fresh tomatoes or replace some of the tomato sauce with the fresh ones.) Finally, a little bit or cayenne pepper makes the soup just a bit spicy (add one whole teaspoon if you're really into spicy!).

As usually, the soup will taste wonderful the next day too, and the next one, and the next, ok you got the idea.

Now, what are you waiting for?

LENTIL SOUP (5-6 servings)

1 onion
2-3 cloves garlic
3-4 carrots
1 bag (500g) lentils
350g tomato sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cube (or 1 tablespoon) vegetable broth
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt

1. Wash the dried lentils in cold water and pour the water away.
2. Heat water in a big soup pot, add the vegetable broth and the lentils. Let boil under lid for 30-45 mins.
3. Chop the onion, garlic and the carrots into cubes. Add some olive oil in a pan and cook the vegetables some 10 minutes in medium heat. Add turmeric, black pepper and cayenne pepper and cook 5 minutes more.
4. Add the cooked vegetables, tomato sauce and salt into the soup, add water if needed and cook in medium heat under the lid for 15-20 mins more.
5. Let sit under the lid for about 30 mins before serving. Enjoy with toasted bread!



The soup is really easy to make, but takes a little bit time. Normally all the ingredients are easy to find in any grocery store and can be stored in home kitchen for long time. If possible, prepare the soup couple of hours before eating, or the previous day, to get the best possible flavour!

Lately I have been making this soup about 2 times a month and every time it makes me so happy! Sometimes, (here comes a tip!) I double all the ingredients and end up eating the lentils for one whole week. If you're a lazy cook, I recommend this style ;)

Try it out and let me know if you liked it.

Peace out and stay strong, friends!

2 comments:

  1. Amiga bella! Lentils are my favorite food :) so I think I will try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the best! Awesome, let me know how they turned out for you :) Greetings and hugs Karen dear!

      Delete